One of the most popular electric percolators is the Presto 02811 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffeemaker. This elegant appliance looks beautiful and stylish, is well built, and will provide fantastic coffee brews for a lifetime. This percolator makes up to twelve cups of coffee at a good rate, and then it keeps the brew at a constant, piping-hot temperature so that it is always ready to serve. The innards of the coffee maker (the filter basket and percolator tube) are also made of stainless steel, rather than the more common (and less durable) aluminum. This means that the machine is long-lasting and easier to clean.
- Low wattage – this machine runs at 800 watts, which is less than a conventional kettle. This means saving on power bills, as well as being environmentally friendly. It brews between 4-12 cups, at a rate of about one cup per minute. Some people complain that this is a bit slow, but this is a really important feature of percolated coffee. In order to avoid burning your coffee, you should not boil it, and you should not percolate too quickly. In order to get a full-bodied, perfect-tasting brew, a slow, gentle percolation is absolutely key. This machine automatically fits the bill. Take your time, and enjoy a perfect cup!
- Durable – the percolator is made from stainless steel, and this includes the inner workings. The perc tube and the filter basket are sturdy and easy to clean. There is no plastic or aluminum in contact with the water.
- Removable cord for storage
- Indicator light – unlike stovetop percolators, you do not need a timer. When the coffee is brewed, the machine automatically stops and the light comes on. It then keeps your coffee warm until you are ready.
- Looks Good, is Simple to use, and makes Great coffee – most purchasers make this type of comment about this machine.
Tips for using the Presto 02811 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffeemaker
- Do not overfill the coffee basket. If you want a really strong brew, make a smaller quantity.
- Filters – you should either get paper filters or a Perma-Brew Re-useable Coffee Filter Basket to stop the filter basket from clogging up. Alternatively, get yourself a small plastic brush to clean the filter basket and clear the grinds out.
- Keep the machine clean – this applies to any coffee maker, and because this one is stainless steel, it is easy to do. Residual coffee oils can make for bitter brews, so keep it clean.
Some people prefer the slightly more expensive Farberware FCP412 12-Cup Percolator, partly because it has a 60-year-old reputation for making excellent coffee. However, in recent times this machine has been manufactured in China and has collected a lot of negative reviews for quality.
Are you looking for a simple, reliable, durable coffee percolator? If so, you will not go wrong if you purchase the Presto 02811 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffeemaker.